Monday, December 5, 2016

Week 5

Finger Polka and Jelly Fish Dance

My goal for the fourth grade students this week was to set them in a new formation; the circle. I chose a simple dance so the students wouldn’t become too confused with the different set up. I was pleased with how well the class handled the circle formation! Mrs. Gandara had given me some teaching tips for her class, and I was able to practice using several new strategies. To help regain attention and reset the student’s minds I would have them sit down when I gave them instruction, then stand back up and apply what I just said instead of trying to talk over them when they are still thinking about the new movement. I also found it very effective to choose frequent helpers- students who are being quiet and respectful. That always gets their attention and the whole class becomes fantastically well behaved for those few moments. Because the class learned the first dance so well, we had time to calm down with the Jelly Fish Dance. This simple dance allows the students to follow along and copy slow repetitive movements with breath. This was a nice place to end, and calmed the students down before they went back to their room to take a test. 

No comments:

Post a Comment